It’s no secret, Mexico insurance officials do not require auto insurance for travelers visiting Mexico. In the event of a loss, having a Mexican auto insurance policy will normally make the difference between a sensational and horrible Mexico trip! Will you be ready for a vehicle breakdown or accident in Mexico? Think about it, an accident or breakdown is not something we sit around and ponder but they do happen and not being prepared can have serious consequences.
In Mexico, the risks of a loss are much higher as you will be driving in a country with a less developed road infrastructure, different signage, different law system, and other drivers from foreign countries just as confused driving next to you. You will find that filing an accident claim with a Mexico insurance company is a completely different experience than when you file an accident claim with a United States or Canada insurance company.
In preparation for your trip to Mexico you should do the following to insure your Mexican auto insurance policy is up-to-date and you have the necessary supplies:
Here are the steps to follow if you are in an accident:
- Remain calm and rest assured knowing you have coverage.
- Remain at the accident scene. Be careful as many Mexico insurance policies do not cover vandalism and partial theft. If you must leave to get help, make sure to leave someone behind with the vehicle if possible.
- Call the claims number in your insurance policy or visit gotmexico.com to find the number.
- You will be asked to provide the following information:
- Name of the insured on the policy and the name of the person who was driving at the time of accident or breakdown.
- Vehicle information including the year, make, model, color and license plate number.
- Your current location and where the accident occurred. You may also be asked for landmarks to help find your location.
- A Mexico claims adjuster will be sent to your location. Once they arrive you will need to have some additional information ready for them which includes:
- Your Mexico insurance policy
- Drivers license of the person driving
- As part of the process, you and the adjuster will fill out a claims report which is required by the Mexico insurance company or your claim will be denied.
- If the police are present, let the claims adjuster sort out the details and guide you through the process. Depending on the severity of the claim there is a chance you may be detained and your car impounded. It is more likely that your car will be impounded to ensure you show up for your court appearance if required.
- Once the claims adjuster is done sorting out the details, they will give you the claims report and provide you with additional instructions on what to do next depending on the situation.
- Once you have completed the process in Mexico and return home, the following steps are used by many of the Mexican insurance companies to get your vehicle fixed.
- Get 2-3 estimates to repair your vehicle.
- Fax the claims report and estimates to the Mexican insurance company.
- Based on the type of insurance coverage you had and repair the estimates, the Mexican insurance company will mail you settlement documents to review and sign.
- Once your return the signed documents, the Mexican insurance company will mail you a settlement check.
And now that you know how to handle a Mexican insurance claim, make sure you have the right policy! Start today by getting your quote from GotMexico.com.