If you are planning to ride your motorcycle into Mexico you should be aware that there are many more hazards open to you as a motorcycle driver and more reason to have Mexico motorcycle insurance. The risks are greater as you are in the open air and most likely to fall into more danger with other vehicles, pedestrians and even livestock and the most damage is likely to be incurred by you. Most motorcyclists find themselves without coverage or very little because they are not familiar with the importance of having Mexico motorcycle insurance which is just as important as having auto insurance.
Let’s look at some important information to consider while you are researching the purchase of your Mexican motorcycle insurance.
- US or Canada Motorcycle Policy – Your US or Canada motorcycle insurance policy is not valid in Mexico. Only Mexican insurance companies that are registered in Mexico are recognized as valid providers of motorcycle insurance.
- Shop Online – Make sure you do not pay too much for your Mexican motorcycle insurance. Go online to compare quotes from many different Mexican insurance companies. This will give you an idea of the available coverages and policy rates. Also, online companies will usually only provide quotes from financially stable Mexican insurance companies that are rated A- or better by A.M. Best. You can buy at the border, but how confident can you be with the company’s financial stability and the insurance policy you are buying. If you do decide to buy at the border, make sure to ask about the insurance companies A.M. Best rating and any policy exclusions.
- Motorcycle Value – Make sure you insure your motorcycle with enough coverage. Most online sites will provide you a link to Kelly Blue Book for motorcycles to help you establish the value of your motorcycle. Motorcycles are easier to steal so do not be fooled into a comfort zone. Motorcycles are also more prone to complete destruction when in an accident. Their weight compared to that of another vehicle makes them seem like paper planes so they also get crushed easily. In addition, be careful to only buy a Mexico motorcycle insurance policy that does not exclude partial theft, vandalism and only pays Mexico body shop rates to fix your motorcycle.
- Liability Coverage Amount – Make sure to get enough liability coverage. This will cover third-parties in case of collision with pedestrians, livestock or even a traffic light around a bend. This coverage is not mandatory but highly recommended as the risks of driving a motorcycle are higher than any other form of transportation. If you get in an accident and there are injuries or property damage, and you do not have enough insurance coverage, you will be required to pay restitution yourself. If you cannot pay, you might as well start making friends in your jail cell until someone bails you out.
- Travel Location Restriction – Make sure there are no limitation as to where you can travel! Many Mexican motorcycle insurance companies do not offer coverage if you are driving on non-conventional roads and incur damages or an accident. You are bound to indulge in some sport with your motorcycle and whether you consider it adventurous or not, be careful. Check the Mexico motorcycle insurance policy you choose for the off-road coverage details to make sure you are not met with any surprises when you need to make a claim.
- Customer Service Availability – You may find yourself having a great time or a day behind and want to extend your coverage dates. Make sure the online company that you buy your Mexican motorcycle insurance from is available by 800 number, live chat and email to take care of all your service needs
Many of these tips are common sense, but together they will help you pick the right Mexican insurance company and ensure a safe and fun ride.
And now that you know the important things to consider before buying your Mexico motorcycle insurance, make sure you buy the right policy! Start today by getting your quote from GotMexico.com.